The Equality and Human Rights commission has said it is seriously worth considering allowing discriminating against trans people in regards to single sex spaces. This comes after Rishi Sunak has promised to review the Equality Act.
This is a fight we cannot lose.
Here is how to fight back, and also all the info you may need.
- Write to your MP, via email and letter, call your MP, go to their office in your constituency. Tell them why this will hurt you. Do this often, keep hassling them. Even if they are a tory (ESPECIALLY IF THEY ARE A TORY)
Find info on your MP here: https://www.theyworkforyou.com/
- Organise protests. Everything you need to know about doing that can be found here: https://greenandblackcross.org/action/know-your-rights/
- Here is the letter from the EHRC chair Baroness Falkner, read this to understand what is being suggested (be warned: it ain’t good): https://www.equalityhumanrights.com/sites/default/files/letter-to-mfwe-definition-of-sex-in-ea-210-3-april-2023.pdf
- Here is the letter from minister for Women & Equalities that triggered the EHRC’s letter: https://www.equalityhumanrights.com/sites/default/files/letter-from-mfwe-clarifying-the-definition-of-sex-for-the-effective-operation-ea-210-21-feb-2023.pdf
- Sign this petition calling for the Equality Act to be left the fuck alone: https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/627984?fbclid=IwAR0jMmrGz6S5F9Y0CICfeacdJg82hjPSjFIjBe9r6dM1plJHbkqEsguuURw
(They also say on that…that they will leave the Equality Act alone…this was done a month before Badenoch wrote a letter to the EHRC asking how to not leave it alone)
- Falkner on the response from the trans community…Content warning – Clown logic: https://archive.ph/2023.04.07-232222/https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/baroness-falkner-ehrc-interview-5g3g505m5
- Thread by former EHRC legal director – “This is nonsense on stilts”: https://twitter.com/GreyCollier/status/1643883668195229696
- Here are some links outlining Badenoch’s history of being…just the worst: https://www.attitude.co.uk/news/uk/kemi-badenoch-mp-appointed-equalities-minister-416513/ https://www.thepinknews.com/2022/10/25/kemi-badenoch-equalities-minister-trans/
- The mighty Trans Safety Network outlining how the EHRC has been captured by commissioners who are seemingly against the EHRC’s mission: https://transsafety.network/posts/institutional-capture/
- Jess O’Thomson on what this is, what it could do, how it could happen and why it is happening: https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/5050/ehrc-equality-act-trans-rights-sex-definition-legal-biological/