Oh look, another podcast. It’s as if that is what we do.
On this episode:
– Mermaids has maybe the worst month ever. Did they do anything wrong? How bad is this particular shit storm?
– The government out does itself as the cabinet (mostly Suella Braverman…mostly) just can’t shut the fuck up about us despite the energy crisis, the financial crisis, the nuclear weapons crisis, the chip shortage crisis, the climate crisis…wow, developed clinical depression just writing that.
– Eddie Izzard is standing for member of parliament of Sheffield Central. Will her presence in parliament help people? Does it matter? What could we expect?
– A huge number of people came out as some kind of trans/non-binary identity during COVID lockdowns. We talk with two of those people about what that must have been like.
You should subscribe to this pod on whatever app do-hickey you use. That would be a wise decision.
- Protest the LGB Alliance Conference
Transgender Action Block are holding a protest against the LGB Alliance’s annual conference. This will take place on the 21st of October between 8am and 10pm.
The conference is being held at the Queen Elizabeth II centre in Westminster, London. The protest will happen right outside.
- Mermaids sources
Mermaids statement about Dr Bressler: https://mermaidsuk.org.uk/news/statement-regarding-trustee-appointment/
A bad story about Mermaids and binders: https://www.theguardian.com/society/2022/sep/30/transgender-charity-mermaids-investigated-breast-binders-given-to-children
Some moralising from bad people who suck: https://www.christian.org.uk/news/mermaids-employee-posted-sexual-image-of-himself-dressed-as-schoolgirl/
PinkNews explaining why Mermaids aren’t actually being investigated…yet: https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2022/09/28/mermaids-charity-commission-investigation/
Report on the department for education removing Mermaids from a list of good organisations: https://schoolsweek.co.uk/dfe-removes-trans-charity-mermaids-from-school-wellbeing-resources
The Telegraph lying about Liz Truss calling for the Police to be sicked onto Mermaids: https://archive.ph/YY7vl/again?url=https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/10/12/liz-truss-supports-calls-police-investigation-mermaids-trans/
A far more accurate assessment of the whole Liz Truss APPARENTLY sicking the police on Mermaids: https://www.thirdsector.co.uk/mermaids-defends-itself-mp-calls-police-investigation/governance/article/1802047
Conservative MP Miriam Cate attacking LGBT charities last year: https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2021/11/10/tory-mp-miriam-cates-house-of-commons/
Trans Safety Network on Cate’s weird Think Tank: https://transsafety.network/posts/nscu/
Cate’s history as a director of a weird church: https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/06035697/officers
A gay Christian accusing the above weird church of performing conversion therapy exorcisms on him…: https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/people/man-tells-absurd-gay-exorcism-experience-sheffield-church-3038350
3. Government minister fuckery sources
PinkNews on Brandon Lewis’ nonsense: https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2022/10/13/justice-secretary-announces-new-restrictions-for-transgender-inmates-in-womens-prisons/
GB News also on the Lewis nonsense: https://archive.ph/CIEP3
Trans prisoner numbers from the Ministry of Justice: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1048255/HMPPS_Offender_Equalities_2020-21_FINAL_Revision.pdf
Times report on the split in the cabinet over school policy guidance for trans kids: https://archive.ph/MBdlu
4. We do YouTube now.
It is early days, but here is a video we put together on our recent trip to see Abigail Thorn’s The Prince (spoiler: It was really good)